[pct-l] If lost, and if at possible, stay out of canyons

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 8 12:36:11 CST 2006

I know this is a cruel thing to say when someone loved by many is lost, but all of the choices that this guy made make him a candidate for the Darwin award.

-  What were they doing on that road in the first place; a road the forest service said is bad even in summer?
-  Why weren't they carrying chains going into a snowy area?  Or a shovel?
-  Why did he go down the canyon instead of following the road he drove in on back to a busier road?
-  I understand he took off articles of clothing to "leave a trail;" apparently ignorant of the dangers of hypothermia.

This was an entirely preventable tragedy.  I feel terrible for his wife, children, and family, but honestly, it also makes me angry that he and his wife put their little babies at such risk with their ignorance.

L-Rod