[pct-l] encouragement

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 22:18:34 CST 2006

Lindy wrote:

>You see, I will be 61 when I set out from Campo.

Lindy -
My 52nd birthday was in Monson Maine while I was thruhiking the AT.
My 60th birthday was on Parkview Mt in Colorado while we were thruhiking the
CDT.
My 61st birthday was somewhere in Washington while we were thruhiking the
PCT.
My 67th birthday was in Whitehall, MT while we were thruhiking the CDT.
Most all the birthdays in between have been on other trails.

Don't let ANYONE tell you that you "can't" do it.

>Even though I have no serious physical problems, my doctor used some
>sarcastic comments near the end of last summer about my wanting to hike
>from Mexico to Canada, and I am ALMOST 60 YEARS OLD!!!

Before our last CDT thru, I was told by three different doctors (including
my knee surgeon) that I  "couldn't" finish.  They were wrong - although
admittedly it was a close run thing for the last month.  At least the
surgeon had the grace to tell me to try it even though he didn't think I
could finish.  <G>

>A couple of days ago, a teacher in the high school where I work told me he
>thinks it is unrealistic for me to plan such a long hike -- even to plan to
>hike long sections.

Hmmm - how much hiking has he done?  Any long distance hiking?   Why should
you take his opinion seriously?  You want another opinion?  How about mine?
No - I don't know you - but I know there are 80 year-old hikers out there
doing what you want to do .  If they can do it - you can do it.

If I can do it, you can do it.  My right knee has a torn meniscus, my left
knee is bone-on-bone and I'm not ready for a replacement yet.  We'll decide
this month where we'll be hiking next year.   Yes, I'm still hiking.  I'll
repeat - if I can do it, you can do it.

>Besides, what is 60 supposed to feel like, anyway?

At the beginning of a thru (and 'maybe' all the way to Canada) --- it'll
hurt.  But if you really want the hike, it's worth every Advil you'll take.

>I need some encouragement from my trail friends on the PCT-list.  Is age
>really a factor in whether one should try to hike long distance?

If not now - when?  None of us are getting any younger.  And hiking will
keep you healthy (knees notwithstanding) and help you outlive the naysayers.
  <VBG>

As I told one of my doctors - I'm gonna live till I die -  Nobody gets out
of this world alive, but I WILL NOT sit around waiting for the "inevitable
end."

>I don't want to buy my rocking chair just yet!

Uh - what's a rocking chair?

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/