[pct-l] Osprey Packs

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 11:45:15 CST 2006

I used the Osprey Atmos 35 (same suspension as the 50) for 900+ miles of hiking in the Sierras and NCAL.  I simply loved it.  I was using an ultra light pack but was not pleased with the way they rode with heavier weight.  I had a time crunch and so this was the lightest, sturdy, and reasonable priced pack at REI.  The suspension really worked and it gave some flexibility in where to place the platypus.  Since I started my hike with 10-11 days without resupplying - I had 37 pounds of weight and it rode OK -  much better than my Gossamer pack and an Ursack would fit.  My only complaint was on the the size -- I had to stuff Clif bars around the suspension system at the beginning of resupply - but as I lost my Ursack and resupplying became more often the 35 was ample.  In order to assist in the smaller pack, I did borrow a lid from an old ProLite pack --- since you are looking at the bigger one it already has a very ample lid.  I also often would have my shelter attatched to
 the outside.

  I liked the pack so much that I tried to return it at REI and replace it with the larger 50 but felt way too attached to the 35 and felt a little guilty getting rid of it.  The 50 would be ample large and would be a tad easier to fill up ..... the 35 has a zipper while the 50 is top loading.   IMO this is one of the best "non cottage industry" packs available for long distance hiking - since you have time I'd recommend taking a look at the ULA packs.

  SB

Matt Bradley <mattbradley1 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi all,
Has anyone out there used the Osprey Atmos 50 (or the women's version,
the Aura 50)? I would like some feedback on durability, comfort under
loads, ease of packing and any other experiences you all have had with it.
Thanks.

--
Peace and Love,
Matt