[pct-l] Hey all - DeLorme Maps, etc

matt maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Wed Dec 6 08:44:36 CST 2006

While I am not a fan of Delorme, I feel I have to jump to their defense.

Delorme, National Geographic, MapTech, and other "publishers", don't
actually produce the maps they "publish". They are "packagers", or value
added service providers.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) is the publisher of the maps.

To the PCT as shown on the maps. While the USGS is responsible for
publishing the map and it's accuracy, with constitutionally mandated
accuracy , they gather data from various sources to create the maps . In
the case of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail (PCT) the trail is
from the lead agency for the PCT , United States Department of
Agriculture, Forest Service (Forest Service, or FS). But here again it
is collected from various sources, but the BLM, State agencies are the 2
main ones.

The trail shown on many maps is the original 1974 (?) trail published in
the Federal register, which in may cases was just that a line on a map.
Where the PCT used existing trail systems the accuracy was ok, where
they where breaking new ground it was a general location at best. It in
no way reflected what was actually on the ground, I personally feel it
should be in purple to indicate it is preliminary unverified data, or in
some other way noted as such

This created problems for the PCTA maintainers here in Southern
California PCTA Region 1, as the PCT broke lots of new ground. That was
the impetus for me to survey the trail using my now varied collection of
GPS units .The poor quality of data on the maps presented a myriad of
problems in planning, reporting, logistics, and dispatching of trail crews.

When if ever the trail will be shown with any accuracy is anybodies
guess, my guess is never.

My data is freely available to anyone who is using it for non-commercial
purposes, it cost me a great deal in not only time and effort, but
$$$$$$. I got something out of it too. I got to know the trail on a
level not many people do have or really would want to have. I also got
an education in GPS, GIS, cartography, data management, and to a lesser
extent publishing in general. Probably other ways I have yet to fathom.

I haven't finished and hope one day to complete the entire trail with
the level of accuracy I have in Southern California, now that I have
honed my data collection skills,. I am certain there will be other
lessons to be learned up the trail , hopefully I'll be up to the challenge.

Regards
Trail90