[pct-l] Hey all - DeLorme Maps, etc

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Tue Dec 5 20:07:40 CST 2006

I've compared 3 data sources on the PCT sections A, B, C.

The first data source was DeLorme and I compared it against the data I
personally collected with a gps. The traces weren't even close, 2-3 miles
off in some instances and rarely overlapping each other.

I then compared those 2 sources to the Forest Service pct_02 data. The
DeLorme and pct_02 data, again, were waaay off. Then I compared the data I
collected with the pct_02 data and they were right on top of each other,
with minor deviations that I'll blame on my gps (in)accuracy.

My conclusions? Don't use the DeLorme data where it might count. Better yet,
why would you use a gps at all on the PCT? :)

And even better yet, you're using the guidebooks anyways, so my post is
moot. Please disregard. ;)

Scott