[pct-l] Trail Information

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 5 13:43:16 CST 2006

In the spirit of David Booth's attempt to divert the conversation to
current trail conditions, here are my 2006 updates to the Washington PCT
from Rainy Pass to the border:

* In general, the trail is in great shape until the last four miles
between the Boundary Trail and the border. That stretch has lots of
deadfall (I wouldn't take a horse through there).

* Contrary to the guidebook, there are NO camps along Brush Creek
between the Methow River and Glacier Pass.

* Contrary to the guidebook, there IS water near Glacier Pass (at least
this year in late August). You need to hike west, following a path
beyond the pass and down a ridge to find a slow stream in a meadow.

* About 1/4 mile north of Harts Pass, the trail crosses a creek that was
running in late August (Guidebook doesn't mention this water source).

* The Benson Creek Camp is about 1 1/2 miles beyond Harts Pass and has
water. Camp is below the trail about 300 feet. (Guidebook unclear if
this camp is really there and if it has water)

* After the border, opportunities for water are limited. I would water
up where the trail crosses a creek in a thick stand of cedars, about two
miles after the border crossing. That was the last point for reliable water.

* At the trailhead where the PCT meets the road at Manning, turn RIGHT
to get to the lodge and the main highway. There was some confusion this
year, so we built an arrow made of stones, but that will be gone with
the snows and rains of winter.

Here is a link to my complete trip report on this section:

http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct2006/index.html

One final update on the infamous Glacier Peak detour.  Last year, I
described a log crossing over the White River that cuts about four miles
off the detour. The logs were still there this summer and hikers used
them. However, due to the floods we had in November, it is doubtful
these logs still span the White River where it meets Indian Creek. Here
is a link to my page on the river crossing:

http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct2005/white_river_crossing.html

Tom Griffin
Seattle
PCT Pages: http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct.html