[pct-l] Radio Reception in the Sierras

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 20:37:16 CDT 2006

Wild Fire and Wounded Knee write:

A quick  question - when we hiked the AT we always carried a tiny FM radio
for weather  forecasts, our weekly Prairie Home Companion dose, and such.  Will
we be  able to get any FM reception on the JMT, or will it be limited to the
Yosemite  / Mammoth areas?
I have found radio reception is  great at night.  Even in deep canyons for FM
and shortwave.  Lots of  fun to listen to the radio in the tent at night.  I
used to pick up the  rebroadcast of old radio programs of the 1930's and 40's
out of LA.  Super  fun to listen to.  If I am carrying my super small Sony
shortwave, then I  can listen to lots of stuff.  Sometimes it is hard to go to
sleep with all  the entertainment on.  For the shortwave I throw a long wire out
and hook  it to a pine tree for better reception.

In the daytime reception is cut down  due to the sun being up.  But at night
it is the big show on the headset -  noise canceling headphones of course.
Oops.  Sorry.  I was not  supposed to say those words again.

I guess between bear patrolling (trying to find some  bears to harass), local
camp spot exploring, and radio listening, those are  my three most fun things
to do in and around camp.  Really makes for  fun camping and an enjoyable
night.

Cheers, Switchback
Bear Baiter & Guglielmo Marconi of the Trail