[pct-l] Fires in Washington

csxii at schizoaffective.org csxii at schizoaffective.org
Sun Aug 27 13:48:10 CDT 2006

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:02:05 -0600, "Marge Prothman"
<marge at prothman.org> had this to say:

>Hi there,
>
>Next week sometime I am driving up to Washington for a few days.  I plan on
>taking the" Monk "with" me so he can get back on the trail.
>
>Have any of the folks in Washington's any up to date info on fires (if any,
>or is it just Idaho that has a huge number of fires) say from White Pass to
>Manning Border.
>

>Would appreciate any info. Thanks,
>
>Marge (the old gal)

Flick Creek Fire

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/pictures/360/  Pictures of smoke near
Stehekin

incident: Flick Creek Fire
Released: 2006-08-25 16:02:00 ET

To prevent the public from inadvertently walking into the fire area,
the following trails are closed effective, August 25, 2006:

1. Boulder Creek Trail from its intersection with Rainbow Loop Trail
to its intersection with War Creek Trail 408

2. War Creek Trail 408

3. Camping at Juanita Lake

Summary

Friday’s fire activity was similar to the previous day; with single
tree torching occurring primarily in the afternoon as temperatures
rise and relative humidity drops. Smoke was seen from fire activity at
the head of Purple and Hazard Creeks, east of Stehekin, and Fourmile
Creek southeast of the community. Aerial flight observations of the
fire area were impeded on Friday due to smoke from the Tripod Complex,
near Winthrop, Wash., north of the Flick Creek fire.

Fire is burning in steep rocky terrain, making conditions unsafe for
direct fireline suppression strategies. Crews were working diligently
on precautionary structure protection, laying hoses and setting up
pumps to pump water out of Lake Chelan should it be needed in the
future. Fire crews have been completing structure protection
assessments to help homeowners understand improve the defensible space
around their homes. Assessments have been completed for most of the
structures along the shore of Lake Chelan near Stehekin.
Basic Information
Updated 	2006-08-26 14:47:09 ET
Incident Type 	Fire
Benefits & Objectives

Protect structures and other improvements on the east side of Lake
Chelan and Stehekin.
Cause 	Human Caused
Date of Origin 	07/26/2006 at 1000 hrs.
Location 	3 miles southeast of Stehekin, WA
52 miles northwest of the town of Chelan, WA
Incident Commander 	Wayne Cook
Current Situation
Size 	5,356 acres
Percent Contained 	40%
Estimated Containment Date
Total Personnel 	21
Fuels Involved

10 Timber (litter and understory)

Also grasses and some brush in particular drainages and locales.
Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir primary timber species at the lower
elevations, spruce in the canyons and subalpine fir at the upper
elevations.
Fire Behavior

Fire is slowly backing downhill in the upper reaches of Hazard and
Purple Creeks. Burning materials are rolling downhill, igniting
downfall and causing occasional torching and small uphill runs. Fire
has also been active in upper Fourmile Creek drainage.
Today's Significant Events

Several additional closures have been implemented,now closed to all
use are: Boulder Creek Trail from its intersecton with Rainbow Loop
Trail to its intersections with War Creek Trail; also War Creek Trail
408; and camping at Juanita Lake.

The following closures still remain in affect: Flick Creek Campground,
Purple Creek Trail, Lakeshore Trail 1247 from Stehekin to it
intersection with Fish Creek Trail 1248 at Moore Point; Summit Trail
1259 from its intersecton wiht Purple Creek trail to its intersection
wiht North Fork Fish Creek Trail 1248.
Outlook
Estimated Date of Control
Planned Actions

Monitor the defensible space around the structures in the Stehekin
community. Do helicopter bucket work where necessary to slow downhill
spread in Purple and Hazard Creeks
Projected Movement

Will have short runs in upper Fourmile mile creek drainage. Individual
tree torching and occasional group torching. Fire will continue
backing down the Hazard Creek and Purple Creek drainages.
Growth Potential

Extreme
Terrain Difficulty

Extreme
Containment Target

Low
Remarks

Please note new closures:

1. Boulder Creek Trail from Rainbow Loop

2. War Creek Trail

3. Juanita Lake camping
Weather
Current Wind Conditions 	4 mph NW