[pct-l] Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Fri Aug 25 15:44:49 CDT 2006

Good article!
Reminds me of the article BP Mag issued a while back.

It's interesting to me that Giardia is THE bug that people cite when
this subject comes up. There are plenty more (and nastier) out there
than Giardia.
But the good news (IMO) is that the quantities of these bugs present in
your typical water source is way less than what it will take to get you
sick (again, IMO).

So, will I leave my filter at home? Probably not.

Another interesting thing: How many of you really clean your filters and
store them in the freezer, as recommended? I've been told that the
residual moisture left inside a filter can, itself, become stagnate and
harbor and grow bugs! I know I just pump and stuff it back in it's bag
until the next time I use it.

I remember all to well a bout with "Montezuma's Revenge" after a trip to
Puerto Vallarta. I don't know which bug I got (and I was VERY careful to
drink only bottled beer!), and I was so sick I was stupid in that I
didn't go see a doctor, even though I fought it for a month. But that
was most miserable month in my entire life. A week was spent flat on my
back in bed with frequent and panicked "crawls" on my hands and knees to
the bathroom (sorry for the visual). I never want to experience that
again...

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m