[pct-l] in the sun / Electrolyte Imbalance

Wells moremoxa at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 14:10:57 CDT 2006

In the 1970's  it was still an acceptable treatment to put butter on a burn.  As well as cut and suck the poison from a snake bite.  As we evolve we learn.  (Hopefully)  Those on this list realize standing in the sun and not drinking the proper amount of water will create problems.  I for one enjoy finding out the old beliefs.  Sometimes they really do work.  On an episode of Bonanza, Hoss had been beaten up, Pa/Ben told HopSing to bring him some Arnica.  I use arnica to treat brusies and sore muscles.  Thankfully I've rarely been beaten as badly as Hoss Cartwright was in that episode.  Even more thankful I am to have always known what arnica was good for, and to have enough common sence to evalute information for its practicle value.

  Ellie Mae

Jim Keener <jlkeener at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Ceanothus wrote:

"Now we're at the opposite end of the spectrum, where
some people drink so much water that they dilute their
electrolytes . . . "

And in my experience, that is true. But for me, it is
not excessive water that is the problem, but a low
electrolyte level. And it is very complicated.

This is from:
http://www.nephrologychannel.com/electrolytes/

"Electrolytes are salts that conduct electricity and
are found in the body fluid, tissue, and blood.
Examples are chloride, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and
potassium."