[pct-l] Feeding the celiac thru-hiker

Terriann McGlenn light_of_aton at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 23 10:37:11 CDT 2006

Rebecca, I have a wheat allergy and operate when backpacking as if I was a
Celiac.  I also have lactose intolerance and egg sensitivities, so I have
even more fun than you in menu planning.

I just got back from 1 week in the Enchantments - Alpine Lakes Wilderness in
WA.  I used some dehydrated foods that I made at home, some gluten-free
backpacking food (look on the package), steel cut oats (no gluten response)
and quinoa flakes for breakfast as well as a pancake breakfast for the
easier day.  Lunches were on gluten-free crackers or corn crackers.  We have
done spaghetti with rice and corn pasta, chili with Johnny Cakes
(cornbread), and used dry goat, rice and soy milk as well as egg substitute
in any mix.  I can send you my menu if you like and we can talk privately
about how to approach this new lifestyle while backpacking.

Search the web for gluten-free products, I particularly like
http://www.glutenfree.com/online-store.htm
But I'm sure you can find many others.  Get a copy of Living Without
magazine and check out the different vendors advertisements.  You can
dehydrate anything you cook at home and take it with you.  Health food
stores have a LOT of options; Lara bars for snacks, hot cereals, bulk bins,
and ours has a whole gluten-free section.

You are not alone.  When I get ready for my hike I will have bags and bags
of pre-packaged in single backpacker sizes ready to be shipped to me.  I'm
debating between NOWheat and NOThanks as trail names as I figure that's what
I'll be spending my time saying when others offer to share :).

Terriann