[pct-l] Feeding the celiac thru-hiker

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 00:02:56 CDT 2006

Corn pasta. Seriously - this might be a good use for it!

Widely ridiculed in l-d hiker circles, corn pasta is at
least as energy-rich (and probably more so) as wheat pastas,
and once you learn how to cook it on the trail, and to add
the right sauce/seasonings, it really ain't all that bad.
Corn elbows and shells tend to hold their form better than
corn spaghetti, which can easily turn to a large mass of
gruel in a poorly tended cookpot. You can find corn pasta at
most health food stores (Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc.) as
well as some mass supermarkets, although few stores in the
PCT trail towns would be likely to have it. Gone,
unfortunately (I guess), are the days of hiker boxes loaded
with corn pasta that nobody else wanted, free for the
taking.

Don't forget about quinoa, either. Quinoa pastas exist -
usually blended with another grain (not sure what's common).
But the seed itself is a good source of carbohydrate and
protein, and is excellent toasted in the bottom of a cookpot
with oil, then brought to a boil, and seasoned. Quinoa seed,
in my experience, doesn't provide the same energy benefit as
pasta, or for that matter bean dinners, which are another
gluten-free idea that would be very feasible with a maildrop
strategy. Check out the Fantastic Foods line of
just-add-water bean dinners and other interesting
alternatives to pasta.

- blisterfree, not gluten-free but trying to help...