[pct-l] in the sun

cmkudija at earthlink.net cmkudija at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 22 13:03:42 CDT 2006

Okay, I'll chime in too - it seems to me that even through the 60s &
possibly early 70s, that coaches & athletes believed that water restriction
was healthier than drinking water at will, and that one could improve one's
endurance by restricting water intake.  Now we're at the opposite end of the
spectrum, where some people drink so much water that they dilute their
electrolytes and suffer from hyper-hydration, or whatever the term is.   I
recall suffering from heat exhaustion as a young Camp Fire Girl at camp, and
being kept from drinking water because "it would make me sick."  At some
point, I sneaked over to the water fountain anyway, and felt much better
afterwards (and didn't get sick).

I'd take Mr. Clarke's advice with a grain of salt, or a raisin....and if
water was available, drink.   We are bags of mostly water, anyhow - as one
Star Trek villain, Nomad, said long ago.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California