[pct-l] in the sun

csxii at schizoaffective.org csxii at schizoaffective.org
Tue Aug 22 12:47:04 CDT 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:35:46 -0700, "JoAnn M. Michael"
<jomike at cot.net> had this to say:

>Thanks for your responses. It's my assumption that Clinton Clarke, author of this first pct guide book, let alone a founder of the trail,
> knew what he was talking about, at that time.  It seems to me he would not have made either statement
> (being in the sun and not drinking much water) in his guide book had they not been acceptable practice. I was hoping to hear
>from others who might have more hiking, climbing experience and history of these activities as to safe behavior on the trail, than I.
>>are we there yet

Excellent illustration of the fact that we can not assume something is
correct just because it is generally accepted as fact.

Now the general ASSumption seems to be that if you are feeling thirsty
you are already dehydrated.  I don't believe that.

There are several good books out there, and some excellent websites in
addition to this mailing list.  Here is one website that I find
useful:

http://www.trailquest.net/