[pct-l] Eating disorder on the trail

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Aug 14 17:51:12 CDT 2006

It takes me 7 to 10 days to develop an appetite.  I now account for this
and carry only a pound and a half of food (I'm 250 pounds) a day for the
first week.  The key for me to avoid stomach rumblings is drinking lots
of water...

Last summer when I got to the 10 day point that weight doubled, and I
still could have eaten more.  I lost almost a pound a day over 25 days,
and then slowed down to a half pound a day for the next three weeks.
When I got up to 20+ miles a day was when I couldn't eat enough.  I ws
eating 5000 calories a day... Ummm.  Which I had cut back when I quit
hiking...

Jeff, just Jeff...