[pct-l] Eating disorder on the trail

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Mon Aug 14 16:30:37 CDT 2006

I'm wondering if any one out there has heard about this problem (better --
has some idea how to fix it).  I never backpacked until two years ago, but
have chipped away at the PCT on short trips -- now have the first 900 plus
miles.  My problem is that I just can't eat when I'm hiking (I hear the
stories about ravenous appetites -- I wish ....).  This is not an issue on a
weekend hike, but I just today got back from a 5 day trip in the Sierra
(over Bishop Pass and north to Agnew Meadows).  I could eat very little over
the five days -- I managed two bagels, 3 apples, and 2 granola bars in the
first three days, then essentially nothing the last two days.  I want to
eat, but I just can't -- good intentions proven by my carrying a bear
canister and most of 5 days food in one end and out the other!  I was still
at 20 lbs pack weight (w/o water), so too much pack is not the problem.

[Side bar -- why do most of those JMT hikers carry such huge packs?  Some
seem to see it as a point of pride, but others seemed to be reconsidering
after they inquired about mine.]

I feel strong enough all the way, but an uneasy stomach detracts from the
enjoyment.  Also, this is clearly not sustainable for the longer hikes I
would like to take.  One way to fix the problem is to cut back the mileage
(I'm ok when I hike with my 8 year old son), but I don't want to do that.
Lots of other people hike all day and eat with gusto, so why can't I?

Surely this can't be unique to me -- so perhaps someone has heard about a
remedy?

Tom Bache
San Diego