[pct-l] marbles mtns. and books

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Thu Aug 10 12:39:17 CDT 2006

I haven't read the book. However, it was available on-line (not just
excerpts) a few years ago and I read it then. It was written by a New
Zealand fireman who, in mid-life, took a leave of absence and thru-hiked
the PCT. This took place quite some time ago, so don't look for current
detailed trail info. It was recommended to me in New Zealand by  a man who
ran a B&B near the Abel Tasman Track and hiked during less busy periods
when his family took care of the business. When I read it, the most
interesting thing was the different perspective the author had from our
American perspective. (I have spent some time in New Zealand hiking, or
tramping, and exploring the country so this was particularly interesting to
me.) Other than that, it was like reading highlights of a trail journal,
which had items of varying interest depending on who you are. It discussed
many of the things that all new backpackers think about, with his personal
take on them. I found it entertaining, but not a "must read."

Pieces