[pct-l] alcohol stove alternatives?

msarahm at cox.net msarahm at cox.net
Thu Aug 10 11:14:26 CDT 2006

As I listened to the news on my clock-radio when I woke up this morning, it occurred to me that my pepsi-can cooker was probably not going to be allowed on my flight to the pacific northwest tomorrow.  I ran to the post office and mailed it to a friend near my departure point, but I'm not sure it will make it.

What are cheap and easy alcohol stove alternatives if I don't have time to assemble one?  I think Yogi said she uses an unmodifed potted meat can.  Are we talking Underwood Deviled Ham here?  Can I get a can of this product, discard the contents, wash it out, and go?  It will cook pretty much like my pepsi-can stove?

Also, will I have problems bringing any of my camping gear into Canada?  Should I wait and get alcohol there?  Or can I buy it in Washington and bring it across the border?

Thanks,

Sarah
section hiking starting in about a week