[pct-l] Aerogel sleeping bags or pads?

Andrew McDavid andrew.n.mcdavid at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 00:22:27 CDT 2006

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70268-0.html?tw=wn_index_23

Check out the second page of the article where it talks about Aspen
Aerogels, which already has some prototypes of .25 inch thick materials
which are flexible enough to use in fabric.  Apparently it is highly
hydrophobic so should make an excellent insulator even when wet (although
this means it probably would create condensation problems from
perspiration).  Here's a page with more specs for the products that Aspen
Aerogels make: http://www.aerogel.com/features/enviro.html.

In an unrelated note, if anyone is heading up US 395 from the LA area this
weekend, I could sure use a ride.  I'm meeting a friend to hike the John
Muir Trail north from Kearsarge Pass and would love to not have to ride
buses for 13 hours to get there.  I'd be happy to help out with gas or
driving.

-Andrew