[pct-l] Ashland available through Amtrak

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 09:54:07 CDT 2006

Interesting. Apparently, Amtrak doesn't publicize this service.

On the Amtrak website, STATIONS does show the Ashland (AHL) bus stop at the Safeway on Siskiyou Blvd. So why then do those buses not appear on the Amtrak website when making reservations?   Portland OR to Ashland OR keeps returning a message "Problem Finding Service: Sorry, we cannot find train service matching your request. Please try alternate stations/cities."

I know Amtrak also runs daily bus service between the train stations in Eugene OR and Portland OR as my kids have ridden that to the university.

An internet search ("Amtrak bus" and Ashland) found these articles from local newspapers:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2006/0419/local/stories/amtrak.htm

$45 fare. Leave Medford Transit Center on Front Street between Tenth and Eighth streets at 8:10 a.m. and depart Ashland's Safeway lot at 8:35 a.m., arriving at the Sacramento station at 3:55 p.m. - in time to connect to trains going down the San Joaquin Valley to Los Angeles or to Oakland with connections to San Jose and San Francisco. Also details bus services between Klamath Falls Amtrak station and Ashland & Medford OR.

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2006/06/12/daily16.html?surround=lfn

I've seen buses listed on some route schedules between Bakersfield and Sacramento before, but even now, these buses do not appear on the Amtrak website. One can only assume that if the buses go north into Oregon, you should be able to ride them south as well, assuming you're connecting to an Amtrak train at the end.

Bottom line - I guess you have to physically go to an Amtrak station and hope they know something about the buses to help you make your reservations.

Wandering Bob