[pct-l] RE: User Fees

> From: "Robinson, Brian A" <brian.robinson@compaq.com>

> Don't get me wrong.  I'm no supporter of user fees either, but to be fair
> you should point out that Washington has no state income tax to pay for
> stuff like trails.  Just sales tax and property tax...

Most of the public land in Washington where trails are located is federal
land, most notably Forest Service and National Parks.  While the National
Park fees are significant, the main Forest Service one is the trail head
parking fee ($25 for an annual sticker; less if you contribute some trail
work through the WTA).  As I tracked the opening of roads and trails after
last winter's snows, it was evident how much work is involved in
maintaining them in this state.

There are some scattered bits of state DNR forest (given to the state to
fund public schools).  As far as I know they don't charge, though some of
their land is only accessible through Forest Service trailheads.  State
parks don't charge for admission (in contrast to many eastern states),
though that may change with cut backs in the state budget.

While the number of free Forest Service campgrounds has dropped
significantly, the daily fee is comparable to state and provincial parks
(as in BC).  Dispersed camping at the sides and ends of forest service
roads is still permitted, and often the only option in the off season.

Paul