Re: [pct-l] Lightweight Equipment vs Golite equipment

Tom- I agree with most of your choices. The Feathered Friends
Hummingbird is to small for all but very thin people. When I bought my
Swallow they talked me out of a Hummingbird and I am 5' 10" and weigh
165...pretty thin. I think my bag is 2-4 oz more. I also had the
ptfe[their breathable/waterproof stuff] added and that was 3 oz[and
almost $100!]. I also upgraded the down to 800. I think my bag is
33-35oz or so as is.

I am definitely leaning toward the Kelty Cloud. My lockal Kelty dealer
is going to have one shipped. If I don't want it all I have to do is pay
the shipping. I am not sure how well it will do without the optional
light frame. With the frame and side compartments I think it was 2lbs 5
oz.

I am pretty interested in the Integral Designs Sil Shelter too. I am
figuring with an aluminum pole, emergency blanket floor and some
mosquito netting it will be 24 oz or so. It is shaped like more like an
A frame tent than a tarp. The only downside I see is how it would hold
up in one of those hollowing Sierra Winds???

Any thought on this stuff?

Tom in Sacramento

ps- As for an earlier email of yours....I think the older the hiker[I
will be 50 in April] the more important it is to start looking at
lightening the load. I could handle 50 or so lbs at 25 a lot easier than
I can now....wether my ego wants to admit it or not! I think my basepack
will be in the high teens this year without coprimising safety.