[pct-l] Roadless vs "Wilderness"

<<The President's Roadless Initiative has real potential to benefit trails
on National Forests.  As a result of the initiative, some areas on our
National Forests could be placed in permanent roadless status.  MANY miles
of trails in our national trail system run through such areas.  Permanent
roadless status would reduce or eliminate noise, motorized access, and
logging in the protected areas. >>

This would be great. But one of my concerns is that when the USFS calls
something "Wilderness" we can use power tools in it to maintain trails. As a
result it costs too much to maintain the trails and they become overgrown
and lost. I have seen this happen in many areas and believe that we need to
work to have power trail maintenance tools allowed on trails in wilderness
areas. If this doesn't happen we will see more trails lost inspite of the
protection of permanent roadless status.

		Rob