[pct-l] Lightweight Equipment vs Golite equipment

For thruhikers,

If I was thruhiking my personal choice for an ultra-lightweight pack would
start with:

1-Kelty Cloud 60. In the basic configuration this pack weighs just a pound.
However, adding the typical options like a hip belt and pack stiffener plus
side pockets to increase the volume to 4300 cu in raise the total to about
two (2) pounds. Given that no one has seen most of these lightweight packs
yet, it looks like the best bet. I will purchase one and give you a hands-on
report ASAP.] The user can experiment with different configurations and
choose the best for a particular section and ship the options to the next
stop.

2-Wanderlust Nomad Late. The original version weighed only 24 ounces [mine
does] but the new version weighs about 33 ounces. [The classic creep in
weight as a manufacturer figures out that features are more important than
light weight for most people] Still, this tarp-tent is far easier than a
tarp to set up and is a haven against mosquitoes and wind driven rain.

3-Feathered Friends Hummingbird w/ 2 ounce over fill. Two ounces of overfill
will drop the temperature to near zero. At 30 ounces this bag provides 6
inches of loft. An 8 ounce zrest or ridgerest pad would complete the
bedding.

Using my personal tent w/ titanium stakes, my son's sleeping bag and zrest
and a [yet unpurchased] Kelty Cloud Pack my gear weighs 82 ounces. The
corresponding gear from Golite weighs 78 ounces [average medium size].

For four more ounces I would be warm, dry and bug free.

For four (4) more ounces I get 8" of loft instead of 2" in my sleeping
system, A tarp-tent that keeps out bugs, driven rain, has a floor and sets
up in two minutes [versus a 12 Stake! setup and a Mylar emergency blanket
floor once the proper trees are found] and a pack that I can reconfigure to
include a hip belt or more capacity if I desire.