RE: [pct-l] Outside's GoLite story

Brett,
Please don't make assumptions about my intensions. What I say is not
un*substantiated at all. The article says as much about the market for
upscale backpacking equipment and questions the wisdom of investing $600K in
a shrinking market that is not driven by yuppie interests.

Notice that the article talks about consumer markets, market plans and
start-up company issues rather than the gear. Why? More readers of Outside
Magazine are interested in these business issues than ultra light rucksacks
designed for hiking 2700 miles. I have a personal friend who is in the
sewing business relocating to Los Angeles after a stay in Calgary. I could
go into the ultra light gear business, design much cooler gear than these
guys [it says here ((:] and have real backpackers [you, me sly, goforth etc,
etc. etc.] test it. The reason that I don't is not closet theorizing. I have
evaluated the business case and I just don't want to blow $600 grand for an
ego trip.

I am advising prospective thruhikers to purchase any gear that they want
from this company soon because my opinion, as a businessman, is that the
company will not survive if it sticks to this product line. Could I be
wrong? Absolutely! However that is the opinion of someone who is generally
respected and paid for his opinion in the business world.

If I were thruhiking I might find that opinion valuable. Or I may not.
However, it is not an attack on thruhikers. It is not even an attack on Ray
Jardine. The article points out that he was reluctantly involved in Golite
and that Ray, himself, does not have enough interest in money to score
enough to spend for expensive gear.