No Subject

In a message dated 12/16/99 2:42:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

<< The "buyer" of expensive backpacking equipment will pay for gear that
 will lighten their load. After all, they aren't as young as they once were.
 Notice, however, that not many of the old-dogs on this list su*bscribe to
Ray
 Jardine's philosophy. >>

Tom has a good point here.  Don't expect low cost, ultra-light-phylosophy
equipment to be manufactured by the big backpacking companies.  Us "old-dogs"
don't enjoy carrying the heavy loads, we just feel the trade-off isn't worth
the inconvenience, lack of security, increased discomfort, etc.  I am now in
a financial position to purchase high priced low weight equipment but
hesitate due to my long term backpacking phylosophy that the best equipment
isn't always the most expensive, and, backpacking shouldn't be an elitist,
high priced sport.

Shop carefully and you'll find relatively low cost, well made (or at least
able to be upgraded to well made), low weight, fully functional equipment.
However, I'm preaching to the choir here, aren't I?

Greg "Strider" Hummel