Re: [pct-l] Bears in the San Jacinto area

	According to the ranger in Fawskin there are over 750 bears in the San
Bernardino Mountains now. Bears had been hunted out of southern california
in the late 1920's. In about 1938 4 pairs were reintroduced into the San
Bernardino Mountains for the purpose of redeveloping a hunting stock there.
At the current time it appears that they need to allow the hunters to take
more to keep these bears from becoming a problem. In recent years they have
helped themselves to food left on picnic tables about 2 miles from the PCT
in the Holcomb Creek area.

	I haven't heard whether the bears south of I-10 are there as a result of
natural migration or not. There is some indication that the Cuyamaca Bear
was brought up around humans and recently released in that area.

		Rob