[pct-l] Cell phone and topozone redux

Lert me think a loud here a moment please:

A Palm Pilot weighs 4 oz with batteries. My Nokia weighs 6 oz w/batteries.
My Palm
can hold up to 200 miles of topos @ 1:50000. 10 oz is a *lot* less than the
same amount of topos.

I think the future is here (sic) and a possible answer to carrying so many
maps... every 10-12 days
we download a new set. So now we need to appreciate the fact that a "bit"
of data
truely has "zero-weight"...anti-gravity anyone?-- hey- beam me up
Scotty...warp 10 North!
PalmPilot x + Cell phone  = approx  $60/month total for 3 months=$180 with 300
minutes calling per month included (but roamer charges *are* extra per
zone, maybe $2-3
per call.)  Not tooooo bad. Reading the Pilot is a lot better than just
having a GPS; but can
GPS download maps from topodata? My old Magellan could not. New  ones maybe..
There goes the alcohol weight savings...

Now-- if the damn cell phone wasn't so loud when I downloaded! <smirk>

Rich

ET call home?