[pct-l] Esbit stove fuel

One of my approaches to cooking in the wilderness has been to minimize the
impact on the area I am visiting.  Most items in our packs are relatively
benign to the environment.  But stove fuel, if spilled, could leave harmful
residues in the soil.  This is one reason I use butane/propane.  Sure, the
cannister goes in the trash, but at least I don't leak fuel or leave soot
anywhere in wilderness areas.

Much is being said about Esbit stoves lately, including my good friend Scott
Conover, who first showed me one last year.  I have wondered about the
potential toxicity of the vapors and/or smoke the fuel creates.  A chemist
once told me the fuel is highly toxic.  Are there fuel tablets now available
that are safer?

Roger Carpenter
P.O. Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666