RE: [pct-l] Canister Stoves

Brick Writes: IMHO, canister stoves are not best for thru hikers......

I am a longtime champion of butane stoves. Nevertheless, I have to agree
with Brick about butane stoves and thruhikers. If I was ever foolhardy
enough to undertake a self-supported [mail drops, town stops like almost
everybody who hikes the PCT]thruhike, I would probably choose the Esbit
stove. It seems a lot simpler than alcohol to me. Still I might carry a one
(1) ounce self-made alcohol stove just in case I arrived at a town stop and
my parcel was late and I couldn't get any Esbit fuel.

What I would NOT do is follow the practice of only cooking one (1) meal a
day, at least where water was available. There are lots of lightweight,
satisfying, nutritious foods available in the supermarket that only require
water and heat. To carry these foods prepared [ready to eat] instead of
dehydrated [dry] appears to add a pound for each day's food carried, to the
pack weight. Yes, I know, cooking takes time, but I would take the break and
eat better.

It appears to me that the average thruhikers eating style is set in the dry
southern section where water is at a premium. This approach doesn't seem
correct from Kennedy Meadows North.

TOM

PS: Naturally I would never do an unsupported thruhike. It is far better to
radio [satellite phone] your support team from Mt. Whitney and advise them
to send up a pizza.