Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #941

>     The choice of white gas over butane/propane puzzles me..........

> I think the weight of thecanister was 12 full (4 oz empty) and my old peak 1 is
> 8oz. It seems a
> lighter, more foolproof and more versatile choice (it simmers!) than any
> white gas stove. Am I missing something here?  I can see the advantage of
> white gas over butane/propane over a long haul like the PCT (availability),
> but what about a shorter hike like I am planning?
>     By the way I have been lurking and learning for some time now and I want
> to thank those of you to take the time to share your knowledge and experience.

I have a Seva 123 and when it is hot I can cook pancakes with an aluminum pan and
I can get it to simmer. People need to learn how to use white gas stoves also I
made a heat exchanger / wind screen out of old pepsi cans that decreases the
boiling time 20% at 500 above MSL.  I have used my stove since +/- 1974 but I am
interested in the alcohol stoves and will probably build one this winter and do
some tests comparing to the Seva 123.  I will report findings to the group. But I
will not use a cell phone :)

Owen K