Re: [pct-l] When's an ounce not and ounce?

In a message dated 11/21/1999 Duane writes:

<<  ...water has a [specific gravity] of 1. All other fluids are either
heaver or lighter than water.

 To be specific:

 specific gravity of ethyl alcohol = 0.791
    "        "     " methyl alcohol = 0.810

Thanks for the info, Duane.  I didn't have the numbers handy.  As I mentioned
to someone off the list, mixing volume and weight measurements (fluid ounces
vs. ounces of weight) is sloppy engineering but hopefully not critical in
this discussion.  What all this means is that alcohol fuel weighs about 8/10
as much as the same volume of water.