Re: [pct-l]Winter Trips Anyone?

"Richard Calliger (510.502.5552)" <calliger@infolane.com> wrote:

>Anyone interested in a short 3-4 day trip either from  Yosemite or
>somewhere on the East-side of the Sierra, say Bishop or Mamouth, CA?

>Possibly use crampons but snowshoes with 6 or 8 points work well.

I'd be game, avalanche conditions not withstanding

Ever do any ski trips? Metal edged tele skis with skins always worked better for me than snowshoes, plus you get the added benefit of an fun descent.

One of my favorite places is Toulomne Meadows in the winter. The ski hut there (at the CampGround)  makes a nice destination. Even if one camps outside cause it's full, it gives a nice place to dry one's sleeping bag. If one is lazy (and has the extra time and cash) one can spend a night or two at Tioga pass resort on the way in, and they'll snowmobile the packs up from the point of winter closure the lodge at the top of the pass. Make the climb easier.  Winter Slack-Packing!

-Brick