[pct-l] Stoves

Right on, Mike!!

I just switched from white gas to propane/butane and now I wonder why it
took me so long.  I agree with your findings; used a cartridge stove for
the first time on a 17 day trip a few weeks ago.  To be conservative I
switched canisters at the 10 day point.  After the hike I reweighed both
canisters and found I had used a total of 6 oz of fuel, hence would have
had a comfortable 2 oz left if I hadn't changed canisters.  I generally
only do one hot meal a day (about 20 oz of water) and occasionally have
a hot drink in the evenings. YMMV.

Anyone have any data on performance as canisters get close to empty?
How much residual fuel is in an "empty" 8 oz canister?  Seems like
warming a near empty canister would raise pressure of the residual fuel,
extending use.  Is this effective?

Happy trails, Tom