Re: [pct-l] Growth and Gunshots in the desert

In a message dated 11/19/99 10:27:05 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
calliger@infolane.com writes:

<< There is no difference between what you what hear if someone talking on
 cell phone to friend or talking to friend sitting there.  >>

Yes, there was, everyone else was speaking in moderated tones amongst
themselves and between each other.  This women was obnoxiously loud, walking
between us, most likely keeping her signal at five stars or trying to impress
someone.

<<The cell phone is part of the communication revolution we are all
experiencing.>>

I take to the trail to communicate with nature, it doesn't take a cellphone
to do that. I can easily wait until I reach a town to reach a loved one.  If
this women had any class she could have easily moved off to the side to make
her call, but no, she brought many of us into it.

I'm not against cellphones per se, just their unnecessary usage in the
backcountry. Furthermore, many people depend on these contraptions to save
their lives in lieu of proper common sense.

I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is.

Sly