Re: More BTU's was: Re: [pct-l] Insulation above, insulation below

In a message dated 11/16/1999 3:23:54 PM PST, Richard Calliger writes:

<< I could be wrong- however I believe the reason your bag frosts up is due to
 the condensation (dew point) not the amount of heat escaping the bag! Pretty
 sure anytime I sleep out *and* there is frost on the bag, there is usually
frost
 on the ground/leaves/pine needles/etc. as well.  >>

Right.  Condensation, and also your breath, wet clothes and whatever,
contribute to the moisture which appears on the outer surface of the bag.
Whether it freezes, sublimates, evaporates or just stays wet depends on a lot
of things (such as the air temperature, amount of wind, humidity, etc.)  One
of the factors is the rate of radiative heat loss.  That one factor can be
reduced by getting under the trees or other shelter.