Re: [pct-l] Growth and Gunshots in the desert

In a message dated 11/19/99 7:05:33 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Bighummel@aol.com writes:

<< Lone Pine has become a zoo, I will give you that.  The popularity of Mt.
 Whitney is amazing and continues to grow.  >>

The day I was in Lone Pine, I thought it was fairly laid back town and pretty
cool, but I only went to dinner and it was late in the afternoon.  I was
surprised at it's greenery and in the shadow of Whitney, it was awesome.  I
was upset I didn't have my camera with me to take a picture of the mountain,
but bought a post card.

Whitney had me in mixed emotions.  Starting out with my hiking partner from a
tarn above Guitar Lake I actually thought we'd be one of the first ones up.
We were climbing from the western side (JMT), but I didn't realize that there
was a campsite not far from the top on the east.  It didn't help that both of
us were late risers and never in much of a hurry to get going.  The mountain
had dozens of people on top, mostly "chilling" out in the warm sun.  It was
magnificent.

But what really blew my mind was an obnoxiously loud cell phone call made
right next to me.  "Hi, Nicole, you'll never guess where I am."  That sucked!
 I just got up and started down.  Next time I may not be so patient.  It was
rude!

No other complaints,  Sly  : )