[pct-l] Growth and Gunshots in the desert

  It amazes me to see the Mojave, Palmdale and Lancaster areas in the last
few years.  The eastern desert has changed so much in 20 years.  Lone Pine
was a mail drop in the 70's with free camping in the city park.  Now the city
has all the Arby's, Subway's and quick gas stations in the world and has lost
it's small town atmoshere.  (As have Palmdale, Rosamond and Lancaster ) In
the old days, one ranch in the Tehachapi Mountains ( Tejon Ranch Company )
was said to take pot shots at thu-hikers. ( Any problems now days??  ) Also
Anza Indians escorted many hikers off the reservation (which the trail went
through) at gunpoint. Has the encroachment of the cities brought more crime
to the trail? We had problems with dirt bike riders trashing trails in the
old days. When I drag out my sides, I still love seeing the desert in April
bloom , with the chaparral's purple flowers and all the Joshua Trees. How's
desert holding out against air pollution now days?? Warner Hot Springs was
dreamland to yesteryear hikers after a 4 to 5 day break-in to the trail. Now,
I hear it is closed. ( the resort ) With all the new fees and permits, I feel
like a plains indian after they shot the last of the buffalo. I will always
have a spot in my heart for Holcomb Creek in early spring . ( heard it had a
big fire ) Long live the twisted Pines of Baden Powell. ( rainy day reflects
from the North PCT )