[pct-l] Meteors on the PCT

A short trip report:

Yesterday, 11-18-99,  I went to sleep after an early dinner at 5PM. At about
1AM I arose to a clear and cold, starry sky!

Expecting a true meteor storm I finished my coffee, packed up the stove,
fuel, water and pot and headed up towards PCT near Sonora Pass to view the
Leonids again (my third year in a row on 17 Nov. sitting on some peak
watching the celestial show).

Armed this year with frequency of distribution graphs, orbital photos and
other background info plus a brand new video camera capable of 1 lux
low-light-level imagery, I had high hopes and was quite excited from the early
departure, low-level buzz from lack of sleep yet comfortable overall.

As the pass was closed due to a recent snow storm I settled for a hike up a
small 9000 foot or so peaklet near Kennedy Meadows (The northern ones
of course) . At about 3:30 AM I was set up for the densest
display of aerial fireworks, according to my plots to arrive at any moment.
My heart started beating faster as a **very** long, across the entire
southern sky, persistent flash literally lit up the mountains... the snow
on the surrounding distant  trees seem to reflect the light which was in
actuality not that bright-- only seemingly to take over my entire conscience
being.

Next there was a two-banger streaming across the heavens from east to west
which
was only about 10 degrees in length and not quite as persistent. I was truely
spoiled by the first missile welcoming me to my mountaintop observatory. (The
previous week I had scouted out several possible vantage peaks plus trails
to get there in the dark of the night).

At about 4AM I was not too dissatisfied, seeing about 2-3 meteors per
minute at times.  It was only 50-60 per hour not the 150,000 (yes 150 thousand)
that was expected in Australlia and Asia (maybe next year we travel there!!

All in all it was a good night. Right at dawn there were several more
multiburst
coming from the SE sky.  Most events predominantly were from the east as we
expected since that is where the constellation Leo is at this time of the year.

I will post any  interesting shots at
http://infolane.net/~calliger/Leonidsxx99.jpg
as of now there are none since Mr. Murphy was at work and my camera was
always pointed where things were *not* happening...I have several hours
of video to review, edit, and transfer to my computer so it will be awhile.

xx = 01, 02, ..10...20 at most.

Apparently the place "to be" was the east coast of the US, Australlia and
Asia again.

Rich

References and links:

	http://www.astroarts.co.jp/comets/1998/0055P/java-orbit.html

	http://www.leonids.com

	http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov

--RJ Calliger

Mi Wuk Village, California
"At Home in The Sierra Nevada Mountains on the PCT/JMT"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Use email:  Never send a tree to do an electron's work.
(c) Copyright   rj calliger 1995-1999

 http://www.infolane.net/~calliger OR
 http://banquo.infolane.com/~calliger

    /\

"Attitude is the brush that paints the picture." -anon
  "Do, or Do Not -- There is No Try"  - Yoda