[pct-l] TVP

see if your local supermarket has a y2k-preparation shelf... happened upon
one in our local smith's a few weeks back.  they stock tvp [textured
vegetable protein] in #10 cans for $10, both chicken and beef flavors.  the
can holds about 16 3/4 cup servings, each serving containing 25g of protein
[and a LOT of sodium].    tvp tastes ok... sort of like baco bits.   i mixed
it with my two favorite trail staples pasta and stuffing mix with good
results.  did find that it's better tossed in the prepared meal just before
eating... when i cooked the tvp with either of these, it rehydrated to the
consistancy of earthworms.   this section of the store also had dehydrated
corn and peas, at $28 for a #10 can [about 80 1/3 cup servings].  that's a
LOT cheaper than the freeze dried versions in outdoor stores.    anybody want
to buy a like-new dehydrator?
blaze