[pct-l] RE: Maildrop vs. Grocery specifics

Hey Nocona,

Fancy meeting you here. Here's my $.02 on your list. These are all good
places to get a mail drop. You've done a good job of narrowing them down.
I've added comments to your list.

> Warner Springs--->Just a gas station in town--good for soft drinks, chips and
gasoline.

> Big Bear City--->There is a good grocery store here that you could resupply
from entirely.

> Onyx--->Didn't stop here, anyone else have some tips?

> Kennedy Meadows--->I resupplied here, but it took some work. You'd better like
corn nuts!

> Vermillion Resort--->A food drop here is wise. I resupplied from the store and
it was quite expensive.

> Sierra City--->I resupplied from the store here as well. Don't stay at the
motel across the street on the weekend. The rooms are right above the bar!

> Belden--->Definitely send a box here. Everything I got at the store was old
and stale. They don't get much of a turnover. Stick with the ice cream.
There is a restaurant that serves good food though.

> Old Station--->Possible to resupply from the store, it's pretty good.

> Seiad Valley--->Possible to resupply from the limited store. (Although, if you
try the pancake challenge, you won't have to!)

> Elk Lake Resort--->Definite maildrop here

> Ollalie Lake--->Definite maildrop here (Send your drop early here. They only
pick up packages once a week. Mine didn't make it.) Small expensive store
with very limited supplies. Mac n Cheese goes for $3 a box.

> Timberline Lodge--->Get a drop here. Although I didn't. I should have.

> White Pass--->Small store with limited supplies. You could get by if you had
to. A food drop is better.

> Snoqualime Pass--->Another small store. Get a food drop and add extras from
the store. There is a pancake house here, but it's expensive and the food is
not great.

> Skykomish--->Definite mail drop here. Plus, the restaurants here aren't very
good. You might add extra food with which to gorge.

> Stehekin--->Get a drop here. Small store at the Lodge could tie you over with
some thinking. And save some space in your pack to take some cinamin rolls
from the bakery on the trail with you. The Bakery also serve pizza in the
afternoon. Woo hoo!

Troubadour
AT '94
PCT '99
CDT ???
This. . .reminds me of the way they used to weigh hogs. They would get a
long plank, put it over a cross-bar, and somehow tie the hog on one end of
the plank. They'd search all around till they found a stone that would
balance the weight of the hog and they'd put that on the other end of the
plank. Then they'd guess the weight of the stone. --John Dewey.