[pct-l] Tent vs. bivy

I started the PCT with a ground sheet and poncho.  When I reached the
Sierras and mosquitos, I used a 2 man Flashlight - 4 lbs.  During my
hike, my dad sent me a catalog with one of the first bivy sac/tent
hybrids from Early Winters.  I bought it and was very happy with it.  It
weighed 2 lbs. It was a double hoop bivy, the front hoop was vertical at
the front of the bag and was taller than the second hoop.  It was very
quiet in the wind and was very sturdy, even when other tents were
blowing over.  Probably about 8 - 10 thru hikers were camped together
near Echo Lake when a big wind blew through.  I didn't even wake up and
a couple of the other guys tents were blown over.  I could lay in the
sac and reach past the screen door to cook when cloulds of mosquitos
threatened, and I could lay on my stomach to read or write in my
journal. I kept my ground cloth and wrapped that around my gear to keep
it dry.  I dropped out in northern California so I didn't get to try it
in sustained rain. If I was going to hike the PCT, I'd look for a
similar one.  However, I haven't seen an exact match in any of the
catalogs.
        Jeff Jones
PS - I dropped out due to worsening chronic foot pain so there's one
data point from someone who quit in northern Cal.  I hobbled around for
a month or two before the pain totally went away.