Re: [pct-l] Insulation above, insulation below

At 08:22 PM 11/09/1999 +0000, Brett Tucker wrote:

>So the pad is far from just an item of comfort; it's an integral part of a
>PCT Handbook type of camping style. The idea isn't to seek out duff as an
>alternative to using a sleeping pad, but as an adjunct to the pad, to
>bolster warmth and comfort.

This is a departure from the "Ray Way" as presented in the first edition of
"The Handbook" where He said, on page 57:

"But I've now come to relinquish even this [3/8 thick foam pad] as
generally  unnecessary. When ground insulation is required We sleep on
spare clothing."

My original comment was based on my understanding of the "Ray Way" as
presented in the first edition of "The Handbook." I've not read the second
edition as carefully as the first, but on examination I see that the
sleeping pad has been welcomed into the doctrine of the "Ray Way."

FWIW, Brett, your writing style is very similar to that used in The
Handbook. Did you have any editorial input in the first or second edition?

-Brick