[pct-l] A systematic approach to sleeping warm

On the PCT, most of the time a 20-30F bag will be warm enough if you have a
tent or bivy. On those rare occasions where it is unusually cold, I suggest
that you sleep in your rain gear. I carry a lightweight jacket and pants
from Sierra Designs. The tandem weighs about a pound and doubles as wind
protection and town clothes in the Laundromat.

As an added benefit, they make an excellent vapor barrier when it gets cold
enough for a vapor barrier to work. You will find them sticky and
uncomfortable and any clothes you wear on the inside of them will be sopping
wet by morning --- but you will stay warm.

This approach will not work for conduction. If you don't have a ground pad,
you will still be cold. Without a pad it would be better to use all
available clothes [except the aforementioned rain gear] to make a makeshift
ground pad.