Re: [pct-l] a strange question

Ty,

Don't sweat the definition.  Don't focus on the technicalities.  You may NEED
the couple of days to reconfigure your focus and attitude and come back to
the trail energized.  You may not want to leave the trail and find yourself
hurrying back from the commitment.  If you have committed to yourself to
continue, you will.

I sat in a motel in Independence for three days after trudging through a
harrowing snow system in the high Sierra.  I thought about quitting, about
going home, about drinking beer and watching baseball (well, on second
thought I would rather hike anywhere than sit down and watch a baseball game,
but . . . ) However, the thought kept coming back to me about why I wanted to
hike the PCT:  because it is too easy to say no, too easy to find excuses.  I
know that this sounds strange.  It was my answer to my friends who asked me
this question.  It still is.  Jump at the opportunity!

The challenge drew me back, the adventure beckoned.

I also took a week in San Francisco getting a new pack and reconfiguring my
equipment.

I call myself a thruhiker.  I don't see the need to define it.  If someone
wants to get technical and say that I am not, I would only laugh at them.  We
only use the term to distinguish between those that have done part from those
that have gone all the way in whatever time frame that you care to pick.  I'd
venture to call a section hiker who has hiked all the way over a five year
period to also be a "thruhiker".

It isn't important.  What is important is defining what you want to do and
why.   The answers may not sound very solid, but they will become so much
clearer with time.

IMHO,  Goodluck!

Greg "Strider" Hummel