Re: [pct-l] a strange question

Hey Ty,
Mountain Ted here.  Did the Southern sections of the trail last season, going
again in April.  Why?  I brought my 13 year old with me.  His mother, my ex,
had an anurism on May 1.  I was off and on the trail for the entire southern
segment to Kennedy Meadows while she was in ICU.  Then I had to pull off
entirely and coach my son thru this other critical experience.  Didn't feel
like I did the trail justice.  I had to do the right thing for my son and his
mother and family.  So I am going back.  It feels like the only thing more
important to me is breathing.....
While I was on the trail I met folks who hitchhiked or otherwise skipped entire
sections.  Often because they were intimidated by trail conditions.  I wasn't
critical.  Lots of these people have never hiked before.
I met a young woman from Australia, Florian, who decided in April last season
that she was going to start the PCT in mid-May.  Just got a letter from her
that she made it.
I met  a fellow, Potato Man, late 70s, doing it in sections and spending off
time with his wife in various resort towns on the way.

When the guidebook says "trail ascends" believe it.  There are difficult
stretches where the guidebook deviates from reality concerning water.  Two
examples, the pump at Barrel Springs is fubared so there is no water after the
24 mile San Felipe grade until the firestation at Warner Springs about 9 miles
further.   The water tank at Pioneer Mail is breaking down and the water is
bad.  You might wanna walk 7-8 miles on S-1 to Pioneer Mail, then catch the Pct
and walk into Chariot Canyon to the spring at the first gold miners hut.

Truth is that flexibility matters. The danger is in losing your will while
getting back on the trail.  When you leave you may be already miserable and
ready to do anything but walk another day.  In that case its likely you will
spend your summer sucking beers and souring on life, as you should.
Flexibility will give you the time to react and sustain yourself physically and
emotionally while you are out there.  This will make your trip enjoyable, if
you stay ahead of blisters and feed yourself well.  Take a day to heal from
several long ones.  Better to take the time and put up with the endorphin
twitches than to develop an repetitve use injury that takes you out of the
game.
Got caught in a freak snostorm in the San Gabrials above Wrightwood, CA.  June
2-3.  7500ft plus, 90mph winds, freezing rain and snow.  Spent two days in a
survival camp with my son, then walked down to Wrightwood to wait out the rest
of the system.  Thats several days where flexibility and common sense are quite
helpful.
My rule is "nobody dies for an itinerary".  Enjoy yourself.  Simply finding the
time to go is most of the battle.  If I meet you on the trail I'd shake your
hand and call you a thru hiker.  That is unless, of course, you are dead, then
I'll steal your food.  Thats my other rule, "If you die first, I get your
food".
Best wishes, if you wanna chat more drop me a note,
Mountain Ted