Re: [pct-l] Nifty Stove

In a message dated 11/3/1999 5:08:26 PM PST, ronm@fallingwater.com writes:

<< In all the pages for other alcohol stoves, boil times were approximately
5 minutes for 2 pints of room temperature water. What exactly is room
temperature? In my test the starting and ending water temps were 60 and
220 degrees respectively. I was using good old tap water. >>

The comparisons I've seen use 1 pint (2 cups) of cold tap water.  You're
right, the starting temperature has to effect the results some.  You also
have to decide exactly when the pot's really boiling.  Of course, covering
the pot improves the boil time, and also keeps you from anticipating.  Call
it boiling when you get a good puff of steam from under the lid.  My stove
boils a pint in 4 to 5 minutes.  I saw a commercially-built alcohol stove
this summer in Stehekin of all places, which said on the box that it would
boil a pint in 4-5 minutes.  It cost about $20 and I had no immediate need,
so I didn't buy it.  Looked pretty, though.  It was made of brass and
probably weighed 6 oz?  Unfortunately, I don't recall the name on the box.  A
side-by-side test would have been interesting.

<< Also I'd like to know what type of alcohol was use in the 5 minute test.
The
alcohol I used was the brand in the web picture. I do know that
differentforms of
alcohol have different burning properties. >>

I've been using "Alcohol Stove Fuel", which is available by the gallon from
Orchard Supply Hardware.  It has a vapor pressure of 44 mmHg at 20*C.  The
blue coloring in it adds a bit of safety, particularly since I carry it in a
water bottle while hiking.