RE: [pct-l] alcohol stove fuel

Ron --
	"Dry gas" is a liquid winter fuel additive that one uses up North to help
ensure that water-ice doesn't form in the car's gas line.

	Actually, I was thinking of "Annie and the salesman" 's post, because they
said that they used both alcohol (in the form of what they called "gas line
antifreeze") and Esbit tablets.  So I was confused, and apologize for the
confusion it may have caused you and anyone else.

	I've always thought that unleaded low-test was the most readily-available,
and thus the best, fuel for the PCT.  I've always filled-up "at the pump".
 But if  dry-gas / gas-antifreeze is ok, together with hardware store
denatured alcohol, then alcohol is a real candidate for me because of the
stove's lightness.  I'm sure a bit of technique handles the difference in
heat output.  Since I'm trying to follow Ray Jardine's principle of
substituting judgement and technique for gear, your stove and
Annie-and-the-salesman have me thinking.

	As far as MSR unreliability, mentioned in other posts.  Not at all for me.
 I've used them (XGK, WLite Int'l) for 15 years now all over the world in
all kinds of weather with Coleman, unleaded, and kerosene and have a lot of
affection for the taste of unleaded at the end of that little pipe that
makes the water hot that makes the food tasty that makes the belly full and
the chill retreat.  But don't mix kero and wgas, even the little bit left
over -- apparently it makes varnish (read soot everywhere). I learned to be
sure I rinsed with the fuel I was changing to.

	Would Annie or salesman mind commenting on the "gas line antifreeze"?  Is
this the same as "dry gas", at 60 cents a bottle?  Is it pure alcohol?  Any
noxious fumes?

-- Dave