RE: [pct-l] Clearcuts - a bit long winded.

At 02:03 PM 10/20/99 -0700, Ronald Moak wrote:

>Actually very little of the wood (percentage wise) is use for pulp.

A quick search turned up data that 12.3 million bone-dry metric tonnes (BDMT) were harvested in the pacific northwest in 1997, and the total harvest in the pacific northwest that year was 65 million cubic meters (MMCM).

I couldn't find out how many cubic meters of pacific northwest log turns into a bone-dry metric tonne of wood chips, but I did find some tables estimating that between 0.57 and 1.05 m**3 per metric tonne of wood for chips (depending on species)  so wood pulp accounts for ( engineering guestamate ) between 18% and 33% of the timber harvested.

Am I way off, or is 18-33% considered "Very Little?"

-Brick