Re: [pct-l] Speed- Hikes

At 10:38 AM 10/19/99 -0400, Montedodge@aol.com wrote:
>I just read about a guy who did the AT in 48 days, so and so hours and so and
>so minutes. He averaged 43 miles a day breaking the old record by 4 days. (
>this month's backpacker mag ) He carried only a water bottle as friends and
>support team members carried all food and gear. A great feat, but not my  cup
>of tea.

More info at http://davidhorton.simplenet.com/attempt.htm

The old "record" was held by David Horton http://davidhorton.simplenet.com

It doesn't have to be your cup of tea. As long as the person doing it is happy with it, and they don't damage the trail, what is the problem?

In the past there has been quite an outcry against speed hikes, and I'm not quite sure why. Most of the folks around think thru-hikes are crazy. Why do thru-hikers think speed hikes are crazy?

-B